Thursday, July 5, 2012

Laptop Makeover with Washi Tape


I've had my laptop a good few years now - since purchasing it to take away from uni with me it's practically one of my favourite possessions, and not just for the obvious reasons. It's home to thousands of memories - photos and videos alike, inspiring photos, all my favourite music and all of my writing. Despite hoping to one day splurge on a proper desktop Mac computer (yes, I'm an Apple girl through and through!) I don't think I'll ever get rid of my laptop. Plus it's so, soooo pretty, and I feel so sophisticated with it!

However I thought I'd customize it with some washi tape to brighten it up a bit. Now I love it even more!


 

I decided only to do some of the keys as opposed to all of them so it wasn't too over the top. In hindsight it would probably have been better to cover up the letter keys, which I know, rather then all the others because sometimes I do struggle to remember what symbol is where! The good thing about washi tape though is that most of it is fairly see through so I can still see the keys through most of it. 

Some of the corners of the tape have began to peel off where I've caught them when typing so I think when it comes to redoing them I'll perhaps cut off the corners or have the tape cut with rounded corners to avoid it.

It was actually quite simple to do! I ordered some washi tape from etsy, I think 5 rolls cost me about £10 and when they arrived I simply measured the length of the keys, cut the tape down to size and stuck it on! For the bottom keys, the tape wasn't thick enough so I had to use two separate bits of tape. However with some other keys I just kind of guessed the size and this was just as easy as the other method. It took me maybe a couple of hours in all? Let me know if you'd like a full tutorial!

It's quite pretty though, right?!

I'm now trying to think of other ways to experiment with my rolls of washi tape...