Friday, May 31, 2013

BEAUTY REVIEW // MAYBELLINE SUPER STAY 14 HOUR LIPSTICK IN SHADE 260 ALWAYS PLUM

I purchased this fab lipstick based on the colour alone. The deep plum purple shade immediately caught my eye as it was such a beautiful shade so of course I bought it and couldn't wait to try it out. I was immensely pleased with it as soon as I tried it on. The first thing my mum said to me was 'It's quite a gothic shade - but it's you all over' which was exactly what I had thought. The deep daring colour means it isn't quite for everyone, but it is great for standing out a little or going for that punk edgy look.


As you can see, when taken with the flash and swatched on my hand, the shade seems to be much brighter and has a pink tone to it, although I wouldn't say this is a true representation of what the shade actually looks like on your lips. However you can see that the colour is very vivid and with this swatch only using two coats, less is definitely more.


The lipstick on is actually a gorgeous deep red shade which has purple undertones! It's a little more classic then other red lipsticks I've worn and I would say that in a way, even though it's quite edgy, I think it's a little vintage too. It does emthasise the lines on your lips a little up close and because the shade is quite bold, I would suggest perhaps using lipliner to line your lips before applying it. I have struggled with it a few times, trying to even out my lips on both sides and I think I will be purchasing a lipliner to wear with it in future.


However it has fast become one of my favourite shades. In real life it does look a little darker and more edgier, but I think if you're looking for a more classic shade it can be used as that too by just blotting it with a bit of tissue a couple of times. In the above photos it does look less in your face which I suppose means it can be used for whatever look you're going for! The above photos are taken using two different cameras - the top photos are taken using my actual camera and the second one, the one directly above, on my phone camera which isn't as good quality. I've done this just so you can get an idea of how the shade may look different depending on the camera, the flash used etc.

The lipstick also lasts ages and doesn't wear off easily. I wore it to a gig recently and only had to re-apply a couple of times throughout the night which is really good considering I was very sweaty moshing and dancing about so I would have thought I'd have to re-apply more then that. At one point I did find it half way up my cheek and I've got no idea whatsoever how I did this, but I was a little tipsy so I think maybe I smudged it whilst drinking my beer, haha.

Overall I do really love this lipstick, if even for the colour. I would say it reflects it's name because it does stay on for ages without smudging when I've worn it to events that don't include sweaty gigs (haha). At £6.99 I'd say it was worth it, but I wouldn't pay anything more then £10.00 for it so I think they got the price probably spot on.

Maybelline Super Stay 14 Hour Lipstick in shade Always Plum is available from Superdrug

P.S Feel free to check out the beauty reviews tag for some more beauty related posts and beauty reviews!