Saturday, May 11, 2013

REFLECTION

Today's post is a little different but it's something that I think is quite important and thought provoking anyway, so let me know what you think.

I'm the type of person who often finds it hard to forge long term friendships, or at least keep them going. When I left for university I had no clue that the friendships with those back home would change and only a few years on and a lot HAS changed. I no longer speak to friends who I once considered best friends, or who I had known all my life. Perhaps we just grew apart or realized we had little in common anymore.

But for the first time in a long time, I feel like I fit in somewhere. I think it's important to note and remember times when your life is going well and to sit back and appreciate it because life is filled with ups and downs. Right now, I'm extremely content with my life and the relationships I have with people are a big part of that reason.

Image found via Tumblr
I think it's so easy to forget about the people that are in our every day life's and just how important they are to you. Perhaps these people are the people that have been there through it all. They've been there for your highs, but most importantly your lows too. Or maybe they're people you haven't known for long, but have clicked with instantly.

In the past year or so have become closer to old friends, made new friends and forged new relationships with some people I am more than grateful for. I've never been the type of person who has a big group of friends, but right now I am more than content with our little group which seems to be just the right size. I've come to realize that even when I'm having days when I feel far too tired to do anything, I usually end up having some of the best nights with these friends. Or there are even times when I'm bored and feeling down - rather then sticking on a movie to just take my mind off things like I used to, it's nice to know that I can now rely on these people. Just a simple message to any of them and immediately I am flooded with suggestions on how we can spend that night.

The relationships aren't perfect. There are a few relationships in my life that are still just beginning ; still filled with confliction and complication, but nonetheless I'm still grateful to have them there. Some nights I could be playing crazy golf tipsy before driving all the way to London for a Krispy Kreme donut and other nights I could just be grabbing a bottle of wine and heading over for a movie night and cuddles; each day and night can be as random as the next but no matter how down I may have felt beforehand, I always end up with a smile on my face.

And maybe I won't be friends with these people forever. Maybe we'll grow apart like I have done with other friends. And I hope that doesn't happen. But it's what's happening right now which is important. We're creating memories together, becoming as close as family and laughing so hard that it hurts our sides. Even if we're not friends in ten years time, we'll still have these great memories to look back on.

Not long ago I used to take a lot of my friendships for granted, but now I've learnt not to. It's hard to remember just how important friends are when you're used to being alone after pushing everyone away which is why you should never let yourself get into that position. When I graduated and came home and realized most of my friendships were over, it hurt, but I threw myself head first into working. And when I wasn't working or spending time with family, I just chilled by myself. Naturally I'm the type of person who likes their own space sometimes. My lack of close friends didn't bother me - not at first anyway. And then when things began to change I realized just how much I missed the friendships. The gossping, the giggling and the nights out.

Image found via Tumblr
I wouldn't change any of it for the world right now. So if you ever find yourself feeling like life is getting away, try to remember to appreciate those close to you. We ALL know what it's like when everyone is working/growing up/too skint to make time for each other. One cancelled lunch turns into months without catching up and before you know it you've grown apart. The great thing about real friendships is that no matter how long it's been, you can always count on them, but that's still no excuse. Don't let it happen, even if just a rejection to one little night out doesn't seem to be a big deal. It's not, but soon enough it will be. Remember to make time for your friends. You need friendships to fall back on, even when it's just when you need to let your hair down after a long and stressful week at work.

Life doesn't wait for anyone and you never know what could happen next week. Right now could be the last time in a long time that you feel so happy, so make the absolute most of it while you still can.

And sometimes; don't be afraid to go all out. Laugh about the inside jokes for as long as you can, then write them down somewhere so you can laugh again at a later date. Take loads of photographs. Even when you shouldn't, splash out every now and then just to do something different. And appreciate not only the memories, but the people too.

It's rarely about where you are or what you're doing. It's about the company.