Monday, March 7, 2011

The real ins and outs of planning a wedding ; Choosing the Bridal Party and Best Man

By our guest blogger Laura Lowe

When it came down to the nitty gritty, choosing who I wanted as my bridesmaid was actually fairly simple. Laura, who I have known for nearly 7 years, is a little bit crazy and that’s what I love about her. She’s always been my confidante: the one who I spent our frees at college with embattled in those all important blackjack and poker games, sneaking off to town at lunch time to avoid the horrible school dinners and choosing dresses for prom. Then the frolics at Uni where we spent the 4 years getting far too drunk on strangely coloured apple sours and peach schnapps, eating too much all-you-can-eat Chinese and spending way too much of our overdraft on pretty handbags. More recently, and probably because we’re getting old, we enjoy demure cups of coffee and spend a pleasant afternoon dunking custard creams. Mum has dubbed us the “WI”, and Rob knows that our intense texting session just has to last the exact amount of time the footy is on.


One of the reasons why I love Laura so much (other than our mutual love of cake) is because of how she reacted when we said I was getting married. Not the usual “Eeeeeee OH. MY. GOD!” but a “Even if we had been friends for 50 years I will not wear a horrible dress!” That’s my girl! Even better, is that she is incredibly indecisive, which is brilliant as I am the total opposite.


Rob’s decision was, apparently, ‘easy’ and ‘manly’. He decided to ask Shaun to be his best man, as they have known each other for 16 years and are still great friends despite living over 50 miles apart. Every time we visit, I hear stories from years past, most of which are not repeatable, but some of which I’m sure he will share in the most embarrassing way possible on the Wedding Day.


My bible says that I must choose a ‘bridal party’ (even though Laura is the party!), but I guessed that we would need more than just the four of us. It was the obvious choice to include my brothers and Rob’s brother, and we have asked Rob’s sister to be my second bridesmaid. This wedding business is turning out to be expensive!