Monday, August 8, 2011

The real ins and outs of planning a wedding ; Moving House


By our guest blogger Laura Lowe


We moved house this week, always a test of your relationship, even if it is only 2.4 miles down the road.

I know you’re wondering what this has to do with our wedding, but it occurred to me, during one of our many mini-domestics this week, that this is just a practice run for the big day.  The amount you have to organise is cataclysmic – change of addresses, direct debits, key collection, key drop-off, taxes and bills, gas readings etc etc. Somehow, I ended up paying all the bills by direct debit which resulted in me spending 20 minutes per company changing addresses and trying to remember passwords I set up 2 years ago. During all this of course, Rob sits there watching with a satisfied smile on his face and says “there’s no point getting angry!”.

On top of the packing and throwing away and the trips to the recycling centre and the buying of new furniture, was the delicate task of handling family involvement. I shouldn’t complain, because my family are wonderful and have helped us an awful lot... but do they really need to have an opinion on everything?  “You need black voiles, Laura!”, “No, go for white, black make the room look small.” “Do you really need to keep this many shoes? You don’t have the room!” If they’re like this now, I can only imagine what they’re going to be like about all the minutiae decisions needed to plan a wedding.

The icing on the cake was after all of the stress was over, we’re in, we’re unpacked and we’re settled down in our lovely little flat. I have a spare few minutes and to decide to peruse my wedding scrapbook one evening. I ask Rob where it is. I get the following answer, “Don’t know what you’re on about, what does it look like?”. Dread fills my bones. Another mini-domestic later we establish that Rob does indeed know what I’m talking about, and he has in fact remembered where it is... IN THE BIN.

I’ll leave you to imagine how the rest of the evening pans out, but the happy ending is that if we can handle moving house, we can definitely handling wedding planning!