Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Woman's Wardrobe ; Staple Pieces

This post is all about those staple pieces that every woman should have hanging in their wardrobe. Those timeless classics that can be worn time and time again, that can be dressed up or dressed down. Most women know the basics, the Little Black Dress (I have about 6 of these!), the boyfriend shirt (I don't have one of these..guilty as charged!) etc but what would YOU say is a staple piece? I am initiating a discussion here, I want to know YOUR picks in the comments section below.

With my first ever big fat pay check due in at the end of the month (I'm already dreaming of what I'm going to spend it on, wise choices like driving lessons and er *cough* La Senza underwear...) and the look on my sisters face as she helped me pick an outfit for an important interview I had recently, I've decided this will be an excuse to shop. Or rather, my sister moaned at me that I don't own any staple pieces, asked me why I owned a ridiculous amount of flower print dresses and decided she is going to take me shopping when I get paid. I had to give in.

So this is what I've come up with so far (with the help of my sister). The list of staple pieces that every woman should own...

The Little Black Dress

It is a fashion rule that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be relied on whatever the occasion. This dress must fulfill most needs and situations ; ideally it should be able to be dressed up for an evening occasion, or dressed down for a day occasion. Items can be added to it to make it acceptable for anything from an interview to a posh dinner.


The Boyfriend Shirt/A Classic White Shirt

Ideally a woman should own two of these ; a classic white shirt that can be worn for all smart occasions, and a boyfriend shirt that should be slightly oversized and can be worn for every other occasion. A simple, classic white shirt is absolutely perfect because the options are endless!


A Pair Of Smart Trousers

Even if you live in jeans, you should always own a pair of more smart trousers for job interviews, dinners etc. A pair of Chino trousers are ideal because they are fitted and always available in a number of different versatile colours. These types of trousers are a nice change when you do live in jeans and can make a dressed down outfit just look that little bit more structured when what it would in jeans.


A Pair Of Casual Trousers/Jeans

The problem with jeans is that there are so many different types of jeans that it's impossible to know where to start. But every woman should have that reliable pair of jeans that will always fit perfectly, look good and can be worn on a day-to-day basis. These should fit well, but shouldn't be skinny fit jeans as they should be comfortable and available to wear for those slouchy moods too. And of course, these should also be the one pair of jeans that make your ass look great (aka the perfect pick me up when you're feeling down - no matter what has happened you're ready to face any day as long as your bum looks good!).

Ballet Pumps/Flats/Dolly Shoes

This one's pretty standard really. Everyone should own a simple black pair of these, even if its just a rolled up pair in their hand bag for when the heels get too much on a night out. Black goes with everything and whilst some women live in dolly shoes (as I still call them) others live in heels - but every woman should have a pair of these to wear sometimes. As a side note, these should always be comfortable, especially if you do live in heels. I don't know about you, but I hate plastic dolly shoes so I would suggest putting a lot of time and effort into finding the perfect pair of these shoes, especially if you plan to wear them a lot.

And that's all I have so far. What are your staple pieces? Please don't think of this as contributing to a blog post, I really need the help for when I have my big shop later this month!