Monday, September 12, 2011

The real ins and outs of planning a wedding ; Themes

By our guest blogger Laura Lowe


I was wondering what to write about this week, as things have been quiet on the planning-front. I did realise, however, I haven’t yet told you about our nightmare choosing a theme. The theme, according to my bible, is the key to showing your ‘unique personalities’ and ‘set the tone’ for the wedding. 

I’ll admit, I immediately thought: what kind of rubbish is this?! 

Number 1. I’ve already been forced, by crazy tradition, to invite Great Aunty Edna who I haven’t seen for 15 years.

Number 2. I’m going to have to pay thousands for this privilege.

Number 3. It appears I’m now going to be coerced into showcasing how ‘unique’ we are as a couple by spending more money on ridiculous trappings that I know Aunty Edna won’t even notice!

I read a bit further and consulted Rob on the subject. All we had to do, was pick a theme that represented our couple-ness, then match all the rest of the wedding stuff to it. Should we go for what would be easy to source, such as doves? Should we go for a colour we both like? Should we try to be original? 

We initially felt doves would be fitting – classic, simple and easy to get hold of. After designing the save the date cards with lovely doves and elegant writing we had an epiphany. What on earth were we thinking? Doves?! No way... FOOD seems much more fitting!

Next week? Cake!