Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

I'm sure you all know that today is International Women's Day (yay for us girls!). I didn't really want to blog about the history International Women's Day, or talk about the different events that have gone on today so to be honest as much as a great celebration it is, I didn't have any plans to blog about it.

Then I saw this post over at the Lovely Vintage Emporium blog and really liked the idea. I guess no matter how you celebrate International Women's Day, it means something different to everyone and everyone has their own role models when it comes to women.

Generally, I think men tend to forget how much us ladies go through. I don't doubt for one second that men have their own hard time too but, obvious things aside (childbirth etc), we REALLY do go through a lot! For example, as a woman, I may not be at a stage in my life where I am affected by bigger issues like the way women are treated in the work place, the pressure to find a man and settle down before I am 30 or childbirth, but I do struggle with my own shit! It really isn't easy being a lady sometimes and it may not seem like much but simple things like insecurities, worried about being judged for your actions, fancying a guy thats clearly too bad for you or even wishing your breasts were bigger are all things that us women deal with at some point or another. And these little things may not seem like much, but add them all together and they can easily turn a good day into a hard one.

And don't forget the things us women do for your men. I bet half of you blokes in relationships don't realize stuff that your girlfriend does without you having to ask. Things like doing your washing with ours, looking after you when you have the man flu or even performing obligatory blow jobs when we are on our periods.  So yes, I do believe this day is necessary!                 

But more onto the point of this post - the women that personally inspire me!



My nan, my mum and my sister!

Firstly my nan because she is just hilarious but every now and again you'll find a gem of great advice in her strange ramblings! She has been absolutely amazing as well, she really helped me out whilst I was at uni, sending money up to help me out and stuff like that and she just loves looking after the family.

My mum because she is the best mum in the world! She has gone through so much and I seriously regret being such a brat when I was younger! She's always been amazing as well though, I wouldn't have gotten through uni without her. All the times I wanted to give up I'd ring home in tears and she'd make me feel better instantly. I really respect her for her actions over what we've all been through in the past as well and I honestly couldn't even imagine what I'd do without her. She's my mum. That's all I really need to say, isn't it?

And finally my sister who, on a different level, probably inspires me the most. She taught me that you should never, ever give up and you should always live life to the full. Even when she moved from school to school and ended up in a job she didn't see herself committed to, as soon as she knew what she wanted she went for it. She attended evening college, worked hard for her qualifications and now she has the job she's always wanted. It's taught me that it's never too late to go for what you want. On top of that she has had the most amazing life so far, she's travelled, she's gotten up to the most random stuff - if I'm even as half as happy as her at her age then I know I've got her to thank. She may be 12 years older than me but she's as much like a friend then she is as a sister. 

These are the women that have inspired me and I'm always so grateful to have them in my life, not just today but every day :)