Sunday, June 24, 2012

Snapshots of how I've spent my week


 


1. You know you've made it when a package is addressed to your blog before your own name...
2. Butterfly by Kathryn Harvey This was what was inside and I've got to say I CANNOT put this book down. Expect a review very soon.
3. Zeus! I'm sure this isn't safe but you try fitting three people and two massive dogs into a mini...
4. The downs It was cold and shortly after it pee'd down with rain but that view is always worth it!

This week I've been -

Watching...Supernatural & loads of old music videos
Reading...Butterfly by Kathryn Harvey
Listening to...The Downtown Fiction & My Chemical Romance
Playing Learning...French on my iPhone 4S
Smelling of...Harajuki Lovers Fragrance - Lil' Angel
Perving on...Cameron Leahy, STILL! (He's just too gorgeous) and Gerard Way AND Frank Iero (shame the second two are married!)
Loving...all my freebies this week and catching up with the girls

As always, I've forgotten to take many pictures this week! Friday was really the highlight as my friend has recently moved into a new house so she had a house warming party/sleepover which was really fun. I'd kind of forgotten how crazy my friends were and in the end none of the pictures I took were, um, appropriate enough to be shown here - in fact they've not even gone on Facebook! Embarrassingly enough I ended up partaking in a LOT of drunk dialing and texting, but this actually worked out in my favour in the long run! I spent all of Saturday hungover due to this but it's okay because I start my new fitness regime tomorrow, which I'll probably blog about in a few weeks time. 

Aside from The Downtown Fiction, I've also been listening non stop to My Chemical Romance this week, especially their old stuff. I'm slowly catching up to their more recent stuff, but I'll never forget what it was like when 'I'm Not Okay' first came out back in 2004. I remember immediately thinking that someone finally got me if that makes sense. I was 14 and in high school and to me the song just seemed like an anthem that reached out to people like me. I never, ever fit in at high school. I didn't care that I never got on with the 'popular' people, I wasn't a loner, I had a close knit really amazing group of friends who are still good friends now but there's no denying I thought I was a bit different (though to be fair who doesn't feel like that at 14?!). Whilst most girls I went to school with were obsessing over make up and dating boys, I was more concerned with going to gigs, listening to alternative music and only fancying boys from afar, always being too cripplingly shy to do anything about it. When we had a supply teacher in lessons, I wouldn't sit and flirt with the opposite sex like everyone else, instead you'd find me reading a magazine about ghosts or playing scary games on the computers! And to be fair, although it's now 8 years later and I love girly things now like experimenting with make up and constantly gossiping about dates with my friends, I am still without a doubt that same person deep down who would pick going to a rock gig over going clubbing any day. I don't mean to come across all deep but it still amazes me what music can do to you and how as an awkward 14 year old, a song like 'I'm Not Okay' can just reassure you that it's alright to stand out and most importantly it's alright to admit that things can get tough. And oddly enough, so many people feel like they don't fit in anywhere, so whilst this song was an anthem to me, it was an anthem to everyone else too. I genuinely can't believe that it's been 8 years since that song was released, and even then I loved bands like Bowling For Soup, Good Charlotte (I also considered their other song 'The Anthem' to be a bit of an anthem for me as well! I loved the lyrics about stepping out of line whilst everyone got in line and how you shouldn't want to be part of another trend and 'in' crowd!) and Blink 182. However I have always had a soft spot for this song - I'd completely forgotten how good it was!

That right there is why music is such a big part of my life.


What were things like when you were 14? Did you ever find it hard to fit in? Do you have one song that you always considered to be 'your anthem'?