Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Powder Perfection!

If you're a regular viewer of my videos on YouTube you will know that one of my all time favourite face powders is MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural. I love the smooth, velvety texture it has and it keeps me from looking oily most of the day. That's the key word though, "most" of the day! I have now found a powder that I love even more and that actually banishes the shine for much longer, as well as giving you a number of other benefits. Let me introduce you all to Corn Silk powder. Lets get old school...
 

Corn Silk powders have been used by women all over the world from the late 1960's, and it is no secret that this vintage beauty buy is coming back with a bang! Aimee Adams, makeup artist to the stars including Fearne Cotton, Pixie Lott, Elle Macpherson and Ellie Goulding, has recently been working alongside the girls from The X Factor. She said:

"I recommend Corn Silk for getting make-up to stay in place and give you a flawless complexion, it is incredible and the only face powder I use on my famous faces!"


 Corn Silk contains a natural walnut shell formula which helps to keep your make-up in place and comes in a matt or satin finish. The company actually states that this can be applied as a base for your make up as well as over your foundation to set in place. Not sure if I would personally use it underneath my foundation as I like to use a liquid and would be scared of the two mixing a little strangely! Perhaps under a powder foundation though if that's your thing? 

Anyway, this product is deffinately a secret weapon for us girlies not wanting to look hot and sweaty after a dance at the Christmas party! Or, simply for those of us who struggle to get through the day without all our make up doing a vanishing act. The pressed powder comes in a handy little compact with a mirror so is a great one for carrying around through the day or throwing in the makeup bag. I personally prefer pressed powders over loose ones anyway, they are so much easier to sweep over the skin when you're on the go! 


The way it works is rather genius, just below the surface of your skin there are glands which release an oily substance called 'sebum'. The amount released through the pores is dependent on your sensitivity to blood levels of hormones. It’s extremely common but difficult to manage and can get annoying for those of us wanting to banish the shiny t-zones! 

Corn Silk is an ultra light, mineral enriched powder that soaks up the excess surface oil and leaves skin feeling smooth and silky. It's not a cakey powder and doesn't offer much coverage, making it easy for layering over other products with looking like a mask! You probably already knew this about me but I aren't 100% keen on a fully matt face. I have the satin finish powder (also comes in a matt formula) but still like to spray a little of MAC's Fix + over to give me a glow! This didn't affect the staying power for me.


  The vintage compact is bang on trend with the current 60’s revival look and Corn Silk is available from Boots and leading pharmacies, for around £8.00. Much cheaper than my previous powder love from MAC. Please let me know if you give this a go. It has deffinately helped with my oily t-zone and I just love that added few hours of staying power my makeup now has!

This powder claims to be completely translucent, however I find that it does have a very slight beige hue to it. For those with extremely pale, porcelain skin or beautifully rich, dark skin tones, I would suggest using a lighter hand. My only other negative about this product is it's smell. It is a vintage beauty secret and that deffinately comes across in its scent. Ever had a whiff of your grandma's powdery, floral perfume? Yep, that kinda smell. Granny chic. Nothing revolting and certainly nothing that would put me off using it but it is fairly strong in the pan if that would bother you. Doesn't seem to transfer on to the skin though. Phew!


What is your favourite tried and tested beauty product?