Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Red Riding Hood Review


Starring Amanda Seyfried, Gary Oldman, Billy Burke, Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons Red Riding Hood is a dark fantasy film based on the classic folk tale Little Red Riding Hood. The film is based around the village of Daggerhorn which is tormented by a wearwolf. Main character Valerie (played by Seyfried) is in love with Peter (Fernandez) but her family disapprove of him and have her become engaged instead to Henry (Irons) who's father is wealthy. When the wolf kills Valerie's sister, the town soon becomes terrorized and upon the arrival of Father Solomon (Oldman), fingers are soon pointed to as of who the wearwolf is.

This film got a lot of negative reviews but I fell in love with it - I thought it was beautiful in the darkest way possible. I adored the main characters, I loved how dark the film was and I really loved how it kept in original elements from the folklore legend whilst making it a bit more modern. I thought the love scenes were brilliant. In most films where the main character has the choice of two lovers you can either tell deep down which one they will end up with or have your own personal choice. This wasn't the case here ; I genuinely couldn't guess who she would be with and personally I really badly wanted her to be with both of them. One of the characters was dark and passionate, so wrong for her, whilst the other was  protective and loving. I really loved both of the two male leads.

The music in this film was excellent too, it was very different. One of my favourite scenes was one that featured just as the credits started rolling, the music went perfectly with what was featuring on the screen and it's a song that I have now downloaded.

The two so very gorgeous men in this film also made it extremely bearable! Shiloh Fernandez has that really edgy brooding look going on whilst Max Irons has the most gorgeous eyes and very, very sexy cheekbones. I think I've found my new celeb crush!

This film was dark, passionate and really showed a different view of the innocent 'Little Red Riding Hood' story we all know.  This film did get a lot of negative reviews so perhaps its not for everyone but I would suggest giving it a chance, especially if you like the kind of story lines that feature around forbidden/deeper love. As I said before, this film is dark but that's what makes it beautiful.