Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review of I Heart Vegas by Lindsey Kelk


You probably all know that I'm a huge fan of Lindsey Kelk and I am forever recommending the 'I Heart...' series to absolutely everyone. Therefore I was so excited to start reading this book that I practically finished it the day it arrived! 

I Heart Vegas obviously continues on from the last book (I Heart Paris) and is about a girly weekend away to Vegas for main character Angela, her best friend Jenny, and a new character called Sadie. But before leaving for Vegas, Angela gets some news in the form of a deportation letter, stating that as she is no longer working she has a month to leave the country. This, cued with the fact that their girly weekend away also just happens to coincide with Jenny's ex Jeff - the one that got away - is the cause for lots of drama. What was supposed to be a relaxing weekend away turns into something very different.

I loved the fact that this book fitted in nicely with the travel theme - each book being based around a visit to a different popular city - but I wasn't sure what to expect. After I finished reading the last book, I couldn't think where else writer Lindsey Kelk would go with the story in that New York, Paris and Hollywood had all been covered! However of course it then dawned on me that Vegas fitted in perfectly with one of the top 'must visit' cities. Lindsey really showed this in the story and the Vegas vibe behind the characters actions and visits was really obvious. Each book so far has had it's own independent tone and this book didn't disappoint.

As always, within a few chapters in I was hooked and wondering how on earth main character Angela had gotten herself into the situations that she did. This made for very funny reading and I often found I was giggling to myself as I turned the pages. Angela is such a lovable character, I think every single reader has been able to relate to her in some way or another. She's down to earth but she's also very, very inspiring in that she is just a normal average girl who manages to transform her life around.

I particularly loved this book because it focused so much on the relationship between Angela and her hot rock star boyfriend, Alex. The other books had always touched upon their relationship, especially in the last one, but this one really explored Angela's feelings about her boyfriend and how past experiences had made her wary.

Two new characters are introduced in this book as well, one only briefly that I immediately loved and another called Sadie. I also loved Sadie's character - despite the fact that she came across as not a nice person. Her character still provided a lot of laughs and as a reader I knew that as the plot developed we would learn more about her. Jeff is also part of a few plot lines in this book as well.

Warning - this book was also very sweet! Some (but not all!) loose ends about Jenny and Jeff's relationship were tied up as well so I will say that with both extremely sweet and romantic moments as well as sad moments, tissues are needed! I bawled my eyes out at the end BOTH times I read this book!

I Heart Vegas was the perfect read for me. I was pleased that it also fitted in with its release date in that its set at Christmas time which was great. I loved how it was light hearted but also concentrated on more serious issues as well. It was an easy read, I could put it down and pick it back up and carry on reading immediately without any confusion (or turning back a few pages to remember what had happened). I loved it and I'm really looking forward to the next book called I Heart London. Unfortunately, given that this is Angela's home country, I have a sad feeling that this will be the last book :( However, I do feel that Lindsey Kelk could possibly squeeze out another book about Milan!

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves chick lit or any girls that have a soft spot for rock stars ;) Any lady who is needing a bit of inspiration in her life should also give this a read!

I of course give this book 5/5 stars!