Monday, January 16, 2012

READER QUERY: How to wear a Red Lipstick

Going ahead with the series of posts on red Lipsticks, I today have a query from Poohkie of Poohkie's Place about the right way of sporting a Red Lipstick. Of course I have tried to answer this to the best of my know-how and yes I did do a bit of internet research as well on it, but I am sure there are points that I couldn't think of, so I implore you all to do your bit and pitch in through the comments section :)

Also, let me clarify that I may not be an expert on Red Lippies and neither do I follow these "every time" I sport a Red lip but I am listing down pointers that I myself should ideally adhere to and find helpful :) Out of these you could make your own permutations and combinations according to what suits you best...

So here goes...
1. First and foremost is to have well exfoliated and moisturized lips before you apply a Red lippy.


2. Many of us have pigmented lips and even for those who have unpigmented lips. in order to bring out the true color of the lipstick, it is a good idea to apply foundation on your lips as a base. I do not recommend applying a concealer on the lips cause I have found it to be a bit drying.

3. Then comes the issue of "bleeding". In order for you to prevent bleeding of your Red lipstick, it is a good idea to fill in the lips with a lip liner. Not only does this help with "bleeding", but it also helps you shape your lips.

4. Now this step is something that I follow religiously even if I skip the first three and that is to apply the Red lippy n the inside of your lips/mouth as well. Cause nothing is as ugly as the fact that when you smile or laugh and the pale pink of  the inside of your mouth is visible in stark contrast to your Red lips.
Hate the "pale pink" visible in the inside of the mouth!
5. Keep your blush natural and as you all know keep the eye make-up light or to the minimum :) We don't want to end up looking like this now do we?

6. Sometimes, it happens that we are hopelessly in love with a particular shade of Red and it on application looks atrociously stark on us. In order to retain the tint of Red but not look stark what you can do is kiss into a tissue a couple of times. You will be amazed to see how that helps! :)

7. If you have thin lips like mine and you are applying a matte Red lippy, then I would suggest you to apply a bit of clear gloss only at the center of your lips. It gives an illusion of fuller lips :)

8. Another important point to bear in mind is that Red lips have a tendency to highlight your skin and complexion, which is why it is of utmost importance that you have your foundation, concealer and other base stuff in place. Red lips look best with a matte face. For ladies like me who prefer a "dewy" look could go for a matte foundation with a bit of highlighter in order to avoid the starkness of a matte face!


9. Also, try your best to go for a transfer proof Red lipstick in order to avoid it getting all over your teeth.
Paris Hilton with Red Lipstick all over her teeth!
10. Finally, the most important part and that is the tool to be used to apply a lippy. Red lipsticks are a tricky where the shape of your lips are concerned. Somehow even the most minor of errors get highlighted with a Red lipstick. Your lipstick going out of your natural lip line is something you want to avoid here. Hence, if you are confident enough to use the lipstick as is then go ahead! And for those of us who aren't very well versed with that, I would suggest using a lip brush for that precise application.
Hope this helps and yes all of you are welcome to share with us your little tricks that you follow for applying Red lipsticks :)